A couple years ago I was on a mission to find the best recipe for homemade dog treats on the internet. I was tired of always having to buy treats and read every ingredients list on the treat bags to make sure they were safe for my pets. At last, I finally found one that I liked, was simple to make, and that my dogs LOVED!
I found this recipe on the internet and have since made many, many batches. My dogs will do just about anything to get their mouths on one of these homemade peanut butter dog treats!
All you need is four ingredients and a bone shaped cookie cutter (or any cookie cutter you would like to use). How easy is that?!
1 cup flour (or whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce or mashed banana (I use either but this time I used banana-mashed in a blender)
1/4 cup chicken, beef or vegetable stock. I typically use either chicken or beef stock depending on what I have in my cupboard.
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Combine flour, peanut butter and apple sauce/banana in a large mixing bowl. Add stock and stir until well-combined. The dough will be thick.
3) Once combined, use your hands to press the dough into a ball.
I would suggest, if you have little kids who like getting dirty (tell me a kid that doesn’t?!), include them in the fun! At first the dough will be sticky and gooey until well kneaded. I find that I have to add more flour to my dough to keep from getting too sticky and messy.
4) Place dough ball on a flat surface (make sure to sprinkle flour on your flat surface to prevent dough from sticking) and roll out evenly with a rolling pin. Dough should be about 1/4 inch thick.
5) Use a cookie cutter to cut the dough into desired shape and place on greased baking sheet. I use PAM cooking spray.
6) Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown. Store in an airtight container. I also find that if you would like your treats to last a little longer, place container in the fridge.
And there you have it folks, delicious homemade peanut butter dog treats. Quick, easy, and simple. I was able to make 4 batches of dog treats in one hour and that produced almost 100 dog treats.
My three dogs can’t get enough of these treats. They are dog tested and approved! 🙂
**This recipe is from Eating Bird Food at http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/homemade-peanut-butter-dog-treats-recipe/ and written by Brittany Mullins.**